Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Wikia Vintage Pattern Link Upload Tutorial

Wikia Vintage Patterns - Link Adding Tutorial

This tutorial has been edited using Windows 7 Home.

1. Search the Wikia for your pattern number, if found follow instructions below.


Be sure that your pattern is the correct picture as many patterns have duplicate numbers are are added as "A" or "B" and so on.



2. At top right is the contribute tab, click for menu, select "edit this page". Click box at top right "Minor edit", drop down and type "Add source/vendor external link", hit enter.

NOTE: For users other than Window 7 Chrome, if you have problems at this stage after hitting enter you may need to bypass the enter now step (after typing source/vendor external link) and go on to step 3.



3. At this point open your published listing up on Etsy, right click over the description for another window tab, click "Copy link address".


4. You are now ready to scroll down to Source/Vendors list, if you are the first entry, click at first dot under title, if not go to end of last entry, click and you will drop down to next line --STOP--. This is where it gets confusing but I promise to make this as painless as possible.


 Scroll up to the button with the chain link as seen here: 


5 Click the link, another window with pop up:


8. At #1, Target page or URL box, right click so that your pattern listing link will show in box, drop down to text to display box (slot) and type your shop name, how ever you want it to show up. At #3, click "to an external link" and #4 click "OK".

9. Now your name will appear at the Source/Vendor list under the pattern photo. --STOP-- This is another simple but sometimes forgotten finish:

10. Be sure to click "Publish". You will see the page change and with the new page your edits will show up in the right hand corner:

10. Now before exiting this page go to the top address bar, right click and copy for the Pattern Patter Team's backlink page!

You have now added a backlink.

6 comments:

  1. The last time I added links to the Pattern Wikia, my editing privileges were locked after about three edits for not logging in first. I hadn't realized it was even possible to edit without being signed in; I just assumed I was automatically still logged in. So, first thing: log in to your Wikia account.

    Thank you so much for these instructions. Every time I've tried to edit a page on this site, I've ended up very frustrated. I have managed to add links, but I have no idea how I've done it each time. It was definitely not using this method, though, which seems more straightforward. I'm pretty sure I had some HTML page up. I don't think I ever saw the "minor edit" option. After the last lockout, I decided it was all just too much trouble. Maybe I'll try it again now! (I'm assuming that all the directions are the same for a Mac, aside from the shortcut keys?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine I do know that these are totally different operating systems and there will be differences but i'll check and let you know. I recently upgraded to Windows 7 and during that time the Wikia program page was updated to make it a lot more user friendly, before I kept the Wikia administrators jumping. About the log in, a few days ago I jumped the gun and forgot to log in but I could not go any further than a pattern number search, this may be one of the differences in Windows 7 and Mac. Let me know if you are successful on your next edit, I may need to add one for a Mac users. I'll also keep this in mind when I attempt the "Add Page" tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine the problem is with the different browsers, (ie: Explorer 8, 11, Chrome, Firefox, etc) I'm looking into it now. I'm using Explorer 8, my husband uses Explorer 11 and all I get on Wikia on his computer is html code when I click the contribute tab.

      Delete
    2. Debora,
      Thanks for looking into this. I'm using Firefox 34.0.5 (which I believe is the latest version). If the Wikia has been redesigned to be more user friendly since I last tried to edit, that probably explains some of the differences. They may have fixed the login issue, too, because that must have been happening all the time! As I recall, there were edit pages available that weren't HTML, but I couldn't figure out how to add the info to those pages. The HTML page was the only page I could figure out how to use, and it was trial and error every time. Every single time I've edited or added to the Pattern Wikia, I've apparently done something wrong, even when everything looked exactly right to me. I don't think I put up a single record that wasn't corrected in some way. I'm pretty detail oriented and relatively savvy with technology, but the interface was so counter-intuitive to me and I could never find any instructions on the site. I'm very happy to hear they've redesigned some things, and I'm especially grateful for these step by step instructions from you!

      Delete
    3. Debora,
      These directions work in Firefox 34.0.5 on a Mac, with a couple of minor changes. After filling in the type of minor edit in the box at the top, do not hit Return/Enter (Step 2). This activates the "Publish" button and exits edit mode. Just type, "Add source/vendor external link" in the box and proceed to add the link to Sources/Vendors without hitting any additional keys or buttons. For Mac users, the only other difference will be in how the link is copy and pasted, which most users will already know how to do. I just selected the address in my browser window and hit command-c to copy, then command-v to paste it in the edit box. I hope this helps!

      Delete